Friday 8 January 2016

5 Things I've Already Learnt From A Levels!


As I'm writing this, it's been a whole month since my last post, which I'd really like to apologise for, and of course, I'd like to wish you all a very happy new year!!
The reason for my not blogging is that I'm over half way through my AS year at college now, which is proving to be reasonably stressful what with four A Levels and now my EP. I had my first session on it this week, and for any of you who don't know, the EP stands for Extended Project, which is a project that many sixth forms (including mine) choose for their students to do. It's a long project that essentially can be on anything and in whatever format you want so it's a bit daunting as you can guess...

There are lots of things I've learnt from the many mistakes I've made at A-Level already, so I thought I'd share them with you in the hope that you don't make the same mistakes as I have!


1. Plan Ahead
In my free time, I'm quite busy - mostly busy being lazy but - I now have a Sunday job and also as some of you may know I have a football season ticket, which means that a lot of my Saturdays are taken up travelling and watching matches. So many times I've done that thing where you think, "yeah I have 3 days to do this homework so I won't do it tonight", but by the time tomorrow comes, you realise that you're working one day and then out all day the next, which means no time for homework. This usually results in a mass panic and then having to get up super early to do it before college. So my advice is to plan ahead (make a to do list and schedule if you need) so that you know you'll have time to do everything before it needs to be done.

2. Pack Your Bag The Night Before
Honestly, how does packing a simple bag take so much time? You think it'll be quick but when you're already late and need to run to catch your bus, you'll be thankful that all your books are all ready in your bag which gets rid of a lot of the pressure.

3. Use Free Periods and Days Off Wisely
After a long relaxing 2 weeks off for Christmas, I now realise that's time I'm not going to get back. My AS Level exams start in 5 months and from then I'm going to have continuous homework which leaves not a lot of time for actual revision. Making sure you understand a topic before you dismiss it and move on is crucial, so use time wisely and revise regularly in short bursts. I'm now going to dedicate 2 of my free periods each week to just revision, instead of homework so that I can benefit my understanding of topics. 

4. Make Time for Genuine Friends
I've made a happy realisation since being at sixth form. I had lots of friends at secondary school who are all wonderful people, but we're all so busy that I don't see them apart from the few who are now at my sixth form. Two of my best friends don't go to the same sixth form as me, so obviously I don't see them much, (two of my best friends also do go to the same sixth form) but I've realised what amazing people they all are and how much I appreciate being their friend. Moving schools will make you realise who you genuinely and deeply love as friends, so don't let work get in the way of these precious friendships, and make sure that you have enough time to see them and continue building these friendships.

5. Have a Regular Sleeping Pattern
A Levels are tiring and sometimes quite draining and you're not going to be able to function if you've only had 4 hours of sleep. Go to bed at a reasonable time so your body has enough time to unwind and get ready for another day. This way you'll be able to give your lessons your full attention which will save time revisiting topics that you didn't understand the first time around. 


Those are a few things that I've learnt already from A Levels (or I should say AS), so please don't make these mistakes! I'm sure I'll be doing a part two at some point as I remember things I've done wrong to share with you (hopefully) for your benefit!

Thank you for reading,
Love as always,
Georgia
xxx

No comments:

Post a Comment